Frequently Asked Questions & Helpful Information
WHAT IS PROVIDED IN THE APARTMENT BY SHEFFIELD BAY?
- Your new apartment is unfurnished so all you will want to bring your own furnishings to help create a warm, homelike setting that will make you feel comfortable.
- A shower curtain rod is standard in every apartment but the sizes will vary by apartment. Please call us so we can let you know which size shower curtain you will need to purchase for your walk-in shower.
- Vertical blinds are in every apartment window which measure 76” wide by 52” long if you would like to purchase a valence. Our Building & Grounds Supervisor will be happy to assist you in hanging a valence.
- A Shadow Box is available outside each apartment for personal decorations and displays. You may also hang decorations on your apartment door with a door hanger to personalize your apartment door and assist you in locating your apartment. Unfortunately fire codes limit us from allowing residents to place items or hang pictures in the hallway next to your apartment.
- Sheffield Bay provides each resident with toilet paper, light bulbs and a laundry bag.
- Cable television is available in each apartment and is included in your monthly rent. A channel guide will be provided to you when you move in but if you desire additional channels for your viewing pleasure, please contact Charter Communications at 1-877-728-3121.
- All utilities, except telephone, are included in your monthly rent. To establish telephone service, please contact the provider of your choice and advise them of your new address and apartment #.
- Although you may choose to do your own laundry, weekly laundry service is included in your monthly rent, as well as weekly housekeeping services. Any trash you may have will be picked up daily by our staff.
- Upon arrival each resident will receive a state-of-the-art, wireless emergency pendant. Residents are strongly encouraged to wear their pendants at all times. Although you will not hear a sound, pressing the center button will activate a wireless call for a staff member to come to your assistance.
- A hot breakfast is available each morning from 7:30am-9:00am and a continental breakfast from 9:00am-11:00am. Our main meal of the day is served at 11:30am and supper will be served at 5:00pm. Our staff will be sure to remind you of meal times.
- Sheffield Bay has a community computer which is available for use by our residents in the library of our assisted living community. This computer does have Internet access and games which you may enjoy playing. You are also welcome to bring your own computer and contact a provider for Internet access in your apartment.
MAKING THE MOVE INTO SHEFFIELD BAY:
- Please advise us when you have determined a move in date. Sheffield Bay has a flatbed cart available to help with moving smaller items into your apartment but you may want to contact a professional mover for larger, heavier items.
- Change of Address cards will be available for you when you move in to notify your friends and family of your new address. Your new address will be 4471 Sheffield Place, Apt #_____, Bay City, MI 48706. Please be sure to include your apartment # on all your mail.
- A dumpster is located in the southwest corner of the parking lot for disposal of moving boxes/materials once you are all unpacked and settled in.
- Please be sure to carefully read and review the Resident Handbook which you will receive upon your arrival. This helpful guide will contain more detailed information to assist you as a resident of Sheffield Bay.
SUGGESTED ITEMS TO BRING WHEN YOU MOVE INTO SHEFFIELD BAY:
- Personal Care Items: Your favorite shampoo, soap, conditioner, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, hair dryer, hairbrush, comb, etc.
- Bathroom Items: Non-slip bath mat, bath rug, hand towels, wash cloths, bath towels, shower curtain.
- Apartment Décor’ & Items: Furniture (bed, chair, desk, lamps, couch, chairs, table, etc.), pictures & wall décor for the apartment, Kleenex, paper towels, clock, wastepaper baskets, bed linens (minimum of 2 sets). Sheffield Bay’s Building & Grounds Supervisor will be happy to hang any pictures you would like to have hung in the apartment. We respectfully request that you do not use double sided tape for hanging items in your apartment. Painting and wallpapering is not permitted.
- Kitchenette Items: Kitchen towels, dishcloths, silverware, glasses, cups, plates, bowls. We respectfully request that you do not use contact paper for lining the shelves or drawers. Please use easy-to-remove shelf liner products such as Rubbermaid.
- Clothing: Seasonal appropriate clothing, shoes, slippers, robe, sweater, spring & winter jackets, gloves, hats, boots (for our winter excursions), sunglasses.
- Personal Items: Family photo albums, favorite pictures, address book, personal items of sentimental value, and a telephone if you will be arranging telephone service. We request no expensive valuables or large amounts of cash be kept in your apartment.
GENERAL INFORMATION REGARDING SHEFFIELD BAY:
- Our front doors are open to visitors from 6:30am - 7:30pm. For entry to the building during other times, visitors may use the doorbell or phone located in the front entrance lobby. We encourage friends and family members to visit frequently and request they sign in our Welcome Sheet located at the front desk. Visitors to Heritage or Harmony Halls will need to obtain a security badge available at the front desk.
- If you leave the building for an appointment or visit with family or friends, please let us know so we’ll know when to expect your return and make sure you don’t miss any important medications.
- Although pets are not permitted at Sheffield Bay, well-behaved and well-groomed pets are welcome to visit.
- Sheffield Bay is a smoke free community and smoking is not permitted in the building at any time by employees, residents or guests. However, designated smoking areas are posted outside of the building.
- A receptionist is available at the front desk Monday - Friday from 8:00am-4:30pm and Saturday & Sunday from 10:00am-4:00pm to assist you with any questions you may have.
ADDITIONAL SERVICES PROVIDED BY SHEFFIELD BAY:
- Van Transportation is available Monday through Thursday from 8:00am-3:00pm for medical appointments. However we do require 24 hours advance notice unless it is an urgent appointment.
- Beauty Salon, Podiatry, and Laboratory services are available here at Sheffield Bay. Please speak to a staff member if you would like additional information.
- A variety of activities are scheduled daily throughout our community. You will receive a copy of the Weekly Activity Calendar when you arrive and Activity information is also posted throughout the building.
- Maintenance service is just a call away if anything arises in your apartment that needs attention.
- The Bay City Times can be delivered directly to your door. If you are interested in receiving this local newspaper, please contact them at 1-989-671-1201. Other newspapers can also be ordered and will be delivered to the front desk for you to pick up at your convenience.
- The US Postal service typically delivers the mail by noon Monday through Saturday. If you need stamps or assistance mailing a package, the receptionist will be happy to assist you.
IF YOU HAVE OTHER QUESTIONS OR NEED ASSISTANCE
WITH ANYTHING, PLEASE CALL US (989) 684-6800.